Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Ophelia's Mad Ballad

This is inspired by Ophelia's singing in Hamlet, when she snaps and how much she has been broken. Please enjoy this song!

How can you tell the difference between your true lover and some other? Your true one wears a pilgrim’s hat and a pilgrim’s sandals and staff. He is dead and gone, lady, he is dead and gone. At his head is a patch of green grass, and at his feet there is a tomb stone. Oh, ho! His death shroud was as white as snow, Covered with sweet flowers, which did not fall to the ground. In true-love showers. Tomorrow is St. Valentine’s Day and early in the morning. I’m a girl below your window, Waiting to be your Valentine. Then he got up and put on his clothes, And opened the door to his room. He let in the girl, and when she left, She wasn’t a virgin anymore. By the name of Jesus and Saint Charity, My goodness, what a shame it is, Young men will do it if they get a chance: By God, they’re very bad. She said, 'Before you got me into bed, You promised to marry me.' He answers: 'I would have married you, I swear, If you hadn’t gone to bed with me.' For good sweet Robin is all my joy. And won’t he come again? And won’t he come again? No, no, he’s dead. Go to your deathbed. He’ll never come again. His beard was white as snow, His hair was all white too. He’s gone, he’s gone, And we moan as we’re cast away. God have mercy on his soul. And on the souls of all good Christians, I hope. Goodbye, God be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment